Carbon footprint, life-cycle assessment and eco-design
The European Green Deal, which aims to achieve climate neutrality by 2050, defines Europe’s roadmap towards continuously reducing our environmental impact.
ITENE conducts life-cycle assessments (LCA) to ascertain the environmental impact associated with each stage in the life cycle of a product, process or service, enabling us to quantify its carbon footprint. We can also draw up your Environmental Product Declarations (EPD) using the Environdec® system and verify them if you already have an LCA for your product.
We can also quantify and draw up your company’s emission inventories to verify your corporate carbon footprint according to the ISO 14064 standard. Furthermore, we can eco-design your packaging, taking the environmental aspects associated with its life cycle into account.
Life-cycle assessment (LCA)
Life-cycle assessments (LCA) help us to analyse the environmental impacts associated with each stage of the life cycle of a product, process or service. They enable us to:
- Determine the environmental impact of each product, process or service, select the most sustainable alternative and identify areas for improvement.
- Provide critical review studies for comparative LCAs intended for the general public.
- Enhance communication strategies in terms of sustainability, image, corporate social responsibility and green marketing.
In addition, we can help you to acquire verified calculations of your product’s environmental performance through Environmental Product Declarations with the Environdec ® EPD system.
- An environmental product declaration (EPD), based on the UNE EN ISO 14025 standard will provide you with quantifiable, verifiable information on the environmental performance of a product, material or service on the basis of a Life-Cycle Assessment (LCA).
- We can draw up the EPD and verify it.
- We are pioneers in applying EPDs to packaging (PCR 2019:13 on packaging), having drafted two EPDs for the Armando Álvarez Group.
– Follow this link to learn about the Environmental Product Declaration that we drew up for the Armando Álvarez Group to shrink wrap milk and juice cartons.
-Follow this link to learn about the Environmental Product Declaration we drew up for the Armando Álvarez Group to shrink wrap cans of beer and non-alcoholic beverages.
LCAs for EPDs system
We develop LCAs for EPDs ensuring reliable results based on scientifically sound data and industrial practice. Results are presented for non-expert audience and explained for effective communication and to take actions for environmental improvement at company level. We can also verify EPDs under Environdec ® programme.
- Approved individual verifier of EPD’s under Environdec ® EPD programme, LCA consultant & developer.
- Geographical scope: Global.
- Product groups/sectors in which we work: Packaging, Transport, Logistics, Chemical Industry, Food, Biotechnology, Healthcare and Cosmetics.
- Sample/reference projects: EPDs based on PCR 2019:13 on Packaging:
Contact information: Antonio Dobón López, Recycling Technologies and Waste Management Area Manager – ITENE. Email: email@example.com. Tel. +34 672387727.
Carbon footprint (CF)
Carbon footprint is the indicator which, measured in the mass of CO2 equivalent (CO2e), quantifies the potential environmental impact on climate change of the greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions generated by a product, service or organisation. It enables organisations to assess their contribution to climate change in terms of their products and business activities, so they can understand what GHGs they are emitting and where they come from in order to reduce them.
1. Product/corporate carbon footprint (CF):
We quantify the carbon footprint and the amount of GHG emissions measured in CO2 equivalent released into the atmosphere by your product or your company and identify areas where you can make improvements. A comparison between products will also enable you to select the most sustainable alternatives. We can also help you in the process of verifying your company’s emissions inventory according to the ISO 14064:2019 standard.
- For products and services in general: ISO 14040:2006, ISO 14044:2006, ISO 14067:2018 and PAS 2050:2011.
- For corporate carbon footprints: ISO 14064:2019.
- For transport and logistic services: UNE-EN 16258:2013.
- For biobased products: EN 16760
This tool provides a simple assessment of environmental impacts associated with each stage of the life cycle of a product, process or service. In addition to identifying areas of improvement in terms of carbon footprint and LCA, it enables you to ascertain the environmental impact of your products, processes or services and to select the most sustainable alternatives. Methodology based on ISO 14040:2006 and ISO 14044:2006.
Eco-design is the method that enables packaging or other products to be designed with environmental criteria from the conceptual engineering and development phase. Eco-design of packaging and products enables you to:
- reduce the environmental impact before it occurs.
- save costs, starting with the design.
- align your business with current legislation.
- comply with the criteria for obtaining certain eco-labels (European Eco-label, Blue Angel, White Swan, etc.).
- improve your brand image and make your company stand out from the competition.
As sustainable packaging experts, ITENE has developed numerous eco-design projects and implemented measures, including:
- weight and volume reduction to optimise the container-content ratio
- introduction of alternative materials with lower environmental impacts or greater potential for recycling or recovery
- simplification of packaging system components
- improving the distribution process by adapting bundle packaging or redesigning the palletizing structure.
Methodology: ISO 14006:2020 (certifiable standard).
Other specialised services
- Eco-efficiency. We calculate the relationship between the economic value of your product or service and the sum of environmental impacts throughout its life cycle. This enables you to reduce the consumption of resources and waste in addition to increasing the durability and functionality of your product. Methodology: ISO 14045:2012, ISO 14040:2006 and ISO 14044:2006.
- Water footprint. We quantify the total volume of fresh water used to produce everyday goods and services. This enables firms to ascertain the hydric impact of their organisation or product and to identify areas of improvement. Methodology: ISO 14046:2014, ISO 14040:2006 and ISO 14044:2006.
Why choose our services?
- Independent verifiers approved by Environdec® for Environmental Product Declarations (EPD).
- Bilan Carbone ®: We have a licence from the Bilan Carbone® Association to use the Bilan Carbone® method for the provision of carbon footprint calculation services.
- Carbon footprint calculation using PAS 2050.
- Advanced SimaPro users.
- In 2008, we created the first Carbon Footprint Office in Spain as a result of more than a decade of experience by our research group.
How can I help you?
Recycling Technologies and Waste Management Area Manager